Business is an unavoidable part of everyday life and so, is an essential subject choice for any student at any level.
- From the advertisements we see on television to the prices charged in our local supermarket – these are all about Business!
- From the most recent football club takeover to the latest technology available on our mobile phones – these are all about Business!
A qualification in Business Studies would be useful for anyone who thinks they have an entrepreneurial streak, intends to work in the family business or indeed work anywhere. It would also be of interest to those who have no idea what they want to do in the long term but just want to know more about what is going on around them, on a daily basis.
In Year 10 students will study:
- The factors of Production (Land, Labour, Capital & Enterprise)
- Opportunity Cost
- Sectors of Industry (Primary, Secondary & Tertiary)
- Business Objectives
- Measuring Business Success
- Business Ownership (SoleTraders, Partnerships, Companies etc.)
- Marketing including; Market Research, The 4 P's of the Marketing Mix
- Business coursework (usually based on the marketing unit)
In Year 11 students will study:
- Complete coursework that was started in Year 10
- Finance, including; sources of suitable finance how to prepare cash flow forecasts, read budgets, understand final accounts.
- Human Resources including; recruitment & selection procedures, employment laws, methods of motivation.
- Production methods (Job, batch and flow)
- International business i.e. The EU, the Euro,International trade, barriers to trade, exchange rates etc.